Entertainment blog My Onion Soul : Sarcasm? ..Why not !!

Thursday 2 April 2015

Sarcasm? ..Why not !!



I consider sarcasm as one of best ways to express irony, an art of expressing the situation in an amusing manner. Yes! It might hurt the audience sometimes but if the speaker worries about people getting hurt, sarcasm loses its soul i.e. "audacity". It cannot be described as strictly hurtful or aggressive humor. It is a form of expression that prevents you from lying, gives you courage to say what is right but in a comic manner.  I am a firm believer in sarcasm. I use it as a tool to initiate conversations and sometimes to dodge them too. It helps me speak my mind. 

Sarcasm is often called the lowest form of wit or humor. But it's so much more fun in saying the opposite of what is happening at the time. If my friend is lurking around doing nothing, I would prefer saying "Dude, you look really busy!" rather than saying "You are so idle". 
 
It's not always possible that the person at the receiving end of sarcasm is also witty enough or in a mood to take it. He might turn out to be Sheldon Cooper. It might cause problem sometimes. Once my friend was upset due to low score in an exam, and I greeted her as "Awesome, I am impressed. How did you manage?" She did hit me with the thickest book she had, but later we had a good laugh.

What I mean to convey here is, we can't speak truth all the time. Sometimes we can just satirize the situation. If someone shoots sarcasm at you, reply back with sarcasm 2.0. Believe me it's harmless if you have right crazy bunch of people around you. Getting punched on the nose once in a while is fine by me. Yesterday I was in an elevator with another girl; she pressed the button for 4th floor and looked too anxious to reach there. She re-pressed the button for about 4 times till the lift was about 1st floor and that was the point I couldn't control the urge to speak. "Yeah, I think now it should accelerate." I often do it, shoot sarcasm on people before thinking whether they will catch it and laugh or just punch me back. But thankfully she laughed and also didn't press the button again. 

Well, I am no Chandler Bing, he is the ultimate God of sarcasm. But yes, I often use sarcasm as a shield from those annoying people who can't bear blunt truth and also don't usually understand sarcasm. This is how I choose to be. I can avoid getting too serious about things by being sarcastic and so can you. 

We always need a defense mechanism against the dull world out there. So, let's be witty and take those punches head-on !!  



2 comments :

  1. Sarcasm is the best way to deal with common nonsense or completely irrelevant situations or questions that your parents/ friends and relatives might ask you.
    Statutory Warning: Don't try this at home.
    #1: You enter your home after a long day ,frustrated and tired,sit on the couch and your mom asks says, "Beta, you're home?"
    Normal Reply: Yeah, Mummy.
    Sarcasm: No,my teacher hacked me to death and this is my lingering spirit.
    Thanks to my mom for being so cool, or I'd be dead. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D For beginners
    http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Sarcastic

    ReplyDelete