Entertainment blog My Onion Soul : Procrastination- An extract from the life of a B.Tech student

Friday 17 April 2015

Procrastination- An extract from the life of a B.Tech student

I was waiting for the weekend to write another post. Not that I was busy, I just could not start working, stuck in the "making-up my mind" phase. Procrastination doesn't spare anyone. Following is a short expression (it's quite long actually) of how a typical engineering student prepares for a test in college. 


I have a test tomorrow, need to score good in this one because others didn't go well. There is a full day and full night to go so I am relaxed. I plan out my schedule, decide to start preparing from today evening after having sufficient sleep to pull an all-nighter. But no, I have to go to the market to buy some stuff I have been postponing and better to do that today because I have to "study" later. I go to the market, and I find some really cool stuff too which wasn't there earlier so I have to buy that (Obviously!). I come back by 5 pm. I should have started preparing by now but I can't because I had to sleep to be awake at night. So I sincerely set an alarm to wake up after exactly 2 hours of sleep. After having a a very good nap I wake up hungry, but how can I be hungry? Because it's dinner time already. May be my alarm tone was so charming that it sent me into an "inception dream" (there is no such thing, don't Google it!). #MovieReference

Dinner lasts for another hour, find some friends on my way back from hostel mess to my room, had to ask their preparation status. They say they haven't started, I know they are lying. Yeah, I have a lie detector fixed in my head; I borrowed it from Nick Fury. So I am a little tensed now, just a little. But I am confident enough; it's just a small test. 

What do I need now? I start looking for notes to study from. I had them yesterday but can't find them now. Oh! I had lent it to a friend for photostat, I didn't get it back. I sprint to her room, ask for my notes. She is a fellow procrastinator; she is watching Friends (the tv series) to freshen up "before" starting to study. We discuss the episode and some other local gossips and another hour passes. I get the notes but I need coffee for maximum concentration. Got coffee now, all is set, I settle down and seriously go through the index, mark the pages to study and happily cross the ones not to be covered. Suddenly my phone beeps, some discussion has started on the group chat regarding the syllabus. They say another chapter is also included in tomorrow's test syllabus. Little more stressed I skip the introductory part of the chapter, let's start with the important topic. I go through the text, didn't get it, read it again. Nah! Still nothing. I need to google it, I am lost in phone now and have to check facebook occasionally because my friends are commenting on my profile photo so I have the moral obligation to reply them. 

So, this topic seems tough, it has a derivation which has five sections. Doesn't seem important. I skip the topic for morning. This continues for few hours. It's quite late now but I haven't done much. Feeling tired, I decide to take a short nap because I care about my health so much (only when it's not required). I'll get up in half hour and finish everything. To my disappointment I wake up half + three hours later. Sun is out already, my heart skips a beat. The test is in about two hours. Feeling horrified, I call a friend and get a list of expected questions and FAQs. I have no time now, but I can see the topics mentioned in these questions. Ultimately I haven't even covered half of the syllabus. I reach college and try to grab the seat closer to the geeks so that I can peek in their sheets. 

Finally, I write the test, trying to extract the most of my poor photographic memory. Hoping for the examiner to be either lazy or too happy so that he just misses the fact that none of the answers make any sense, here I am, proud of my "hard work".

Everyone’s story might differ from this but more or less it will be the same. Temptations and distractions overpower our minds very easily. Beating procrastination would require strong commitment and today with so many distractions around it's tough for students to be consistent with hard work. And why should we be, when last day studying gets us good marks. Thanks to our awesome education system where "if you cram, you top the exam". Procrastination has been a by-product of such system. Obviously, why to cram every day when it can be done on the last day. 


4 comments :

  1. Salvaging my pride is what B. Tech has taught me. I had a choice when I started studying in the first semester. Be selective and study less but important stuff for the exams or study everything and jump in to appear for exams.Though I scored less, never cheated (OK, only did once but that's not point. :-p ) and never begged for marks.

    However, it hasn't made me less of a procrastinator. But in spite of getting average marks by finishing the entire 6 month syllabus completely in one night (Yah, left nothing!! :-p ) ,it has made me understand the value of crisis management and the need to shun excessive pride for my hard work when the world is focused for the outcome, by hook or crook..
    It is an objective that has risen due to my own shortcomings, I still feel the value of learning, no matter what. As a great man once said, "A piece of paper will not decide my future." ,my reply would be "That's why we have 8 DMC's for 4 years, jerk. " or "Try applying for IIM's or GATE with that, you fool."

    It has been an uphill battle of principle and practicality, not only for me but everyone. Still I am rigid to give up on my morals as there are many roads to a single destination. Perfection and procrastination never go hand in hand ,but both are ingrained me as strongly as love messages people written on the walls of monuments.Troubled waters for this national heritage!!! #ILUShweta #V<3 R ;-)
    Maybe ,someday I will beat procrastination.. #Procrastination Level - Inception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh...may be ill read your comment tomorrow :P
      #Joking
      Thanks for the comment :)
      No one can ever beat procrastination i think. People imagine unrealistic success in future and relax for that future to magically happen. :D Those few moments of glory, they have a different level of happiness.

      Delete
    2. Dissatisfaction beats procrastination. I think if you are unhappy with your progress and results, one way is to either sit and wait for some magical dust to turn yours dreams into a reality or the will to act.
      I completely agree with you but what you say is 99.99 percent correct and the way of the human nature.But life turns around for those who have the will to act timely knowing what's at stake, no matter what the outcome.Its that .01 percent that changes our fate, I owe whatever little success I have to that and there are great examples of such people in the world.A reminder that its not a guarantee for success, but gives you sufficient room to experiment, the one thing that is slowly dying in our lives.
      Living by a code is difficult ,but procrastination is relative and can be given room to stretch its wings, depending on whether it's duration of your loo break or a work deadline.It arises due to the very fact that we humans create a institutional bubble around our habits and settle down, believing what we do is right, knowing the truth otherwise.
      An unhappy man/ woman knows the reason for his unhappiness and laments about it, a smart one changes into a challenge and that is what gives purpose to life. :D
      Not seeking personal glory but feeling great about having someone to talk about these little details of life. :)
      "Parinde ki udaan ko par
      ek sapna hi lagaata hai,
      kyunki chichle ghade se pyaas ko
      kankaar hi bhujaata hai."
      #ThirstyCrow #EffortsDefineUs

      Delete
    3. #StandingOvation #CrowdApplausing :D :D

      Delete